Please contact us for details of future dates
Government Exchange is excited to present an immersive and hands-on virtual open course workshop on the Parliamentary Process, delivered directly to your computer, tablet or smartphone by our esteemed trainers and distinguished Members of the House of Lords.
This workshop is designed to not only give you a deep understanding of the formal legislative process in the UK but also to pull back the curtain and provide you with a real-world understanding of how Parliament actually operate. We will learn about the various stages including formal introductions, second readings, committee stage, the role of the Lords, amendments, and Royal Assent. Moreover, learners will develop practical skills, such as formulating a policy project proposition, and gain insights into the hurdles and nuances involved in crafting new legislation.
The session uniquely combines the expertise of a seasoned trainer on parliamentary processes with the invaluable experience of a serving member of the House of Lords. This session will equip learners with a rare and authentic insight into the inner workings and realities of the UK Parliamentary process, bringing to life the mechanisms that shape the laws of the land.
- Lord Peter Lilley, Member of the House of Lords & former Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Government Exchange Trainers
- Gain comprehensive knowledge of the actions and stages involved in legislative creation.
- Understand the role and significance of relevant bodies, such as the Office of the Parliamentary Counsel (OPC), in streamlining the legislative process.
- Develop a regional perspective by understanding how policy-making varies across different parts of the UK.
- Dive into the inner workings of Parliament and garner practical insights into how the legislative process operates in reality.
- Learn about the Policy Cycle: Learn how to adeptly draft, implement, and assess policies.
- Understand the critical role that civil servants play in policy-making, and what exemplary practice entails.
- Grapple with and devise strategies to surmount the challenges that often accompany new legislation.
- Evolve your understanding of how to effectively implement and modernize policies.
|09:30||Registration/Zoom room open|
|10:00||Introduction from Chair|
|10:10||Module Part i) What is the Parliamentary Process?
|12:00||Module Part ii) Who is involved?
|14:00||Module Part iii) The Policy Cycle
|15:30||Summation from Chair|