Introduction to Parliamentary Select Committees
Please contact us for details of future dates
"Select committees are a supple and adaptable tool..". So reported the UK Parliament's own Liaison Committee in 2019 But what are Select Committees? And what do they do and how do they do it?
This one-day programme introduces Parliamentary committees by exploring where they came from, why we have them and their role in modern Parliamentary systems. Our programme also explores how Select Committees work and the various roles of those that contribute to that work. And the crucial role Parliamentary Committees play in delivering good governance.
This highly participative programme uses a blend of information sharing, conversation, examination of case studies and video to explore the topic, led by our highly experienced facilitator.
The programme is aimed at those looking to build a foundation level understanding of Parliamentary Select Committees and is suitable for anyone who might need to contribute (by briefing, providing evidence etc) to the work of Select Committees. It will be of use to civil servants and those in the voluntary sector or businesses who might need to provide evidence to Select Committees or anyone who wants a better understanding of how Parliamentary Committees work.
Participants in this interactive programme will:
- Understand the form and function of committees in a modern Parliament
- Be able to describe the different types of committees and the variety of role they deliver
- Examine the real-world impact of Select Committees
- Understand how to provide briefing for Ministers and officials appearing before a committee.
- Receive insights on drafting evidence and appearing as a witness.
|How they work
|Making a difference
|Questions and Close|