Professional Certificate in Negotiation & Influence
Please contact us for details of future dates
A practical workshop to improve your negotiation and influencing skills
Negotiation and influence are critical skills in today's complex business environment. Whether negotiating a new contract, trying to close a deal, or trying to influence your team or colleagues, understanding the key principles and techniques of negotiation and influence is vital to success. The Professional Certificate in Negotiation & Influence is designed to help develop these skills and apply them in real-life situations.
The Professional Certificate in Negotiation & Influence is suitable for anyone who wants to improve their negotiation and influence skills, including managers, team leaders, and consultants. Participants may come from a range of industries and sectors, including government and nonprofits. This course is ideal for those who are new to negotiation and influence or those who want to refresh their knowledge and skills.
The course is highly interactive, with a mix of lectures, discussions, case studies, and practical exercises. Participants will have the opportunity to practice their negotiation and influence skills in a safe and supportive environment, and receive feedback from their peers and instructors.
- Gain a better understanding of how expert negotiators use tools and techniques to influence and negotiate: This course aims to equip you with the knowledge and skills used by expert negotiators.
- Receive practical tips to help delegates work as influencers: You'll walk away with actionable advice that can be applied in your role to influence others effectively.
- Be able to understand and use some techniques in influencing and negotiation that will make them more productive and confident in negotiations and networking situations: The course aims to boost your confidence and productivity in both negotiation and influence-related tasks.
Part 1: Foundations of Negotiation & Influence
- What and Why of Negotiation: This topic introduces the fundamental concepts of negotiation, explaining why it is an essential skill in various professional settings.
- When to Negotiate: Learn to identify the situations that warrant negotiation, as opposed to those where other approaches might be more effective.
- Alternatives to Negotiation: Explore other methods of conflict resolution and decision-making that can be used when negotiation is not the best option.
- Key Principles of Negotiation: Understand the foundational principles that guide effective negotiation, such as mutual benefit and value creation.
- Key Principles of Influence: Delve into the core principles that enable one to effectively influence others, including authority, reciprocity, and social proof.
- Communication in Negotiation & Influence: Learn how effective communication skills can make or break a negotiation or influence attempt.
Part 2: The Negotiation & Influence Process
- Preparing to Negotiate: Gain insights into the research and planning needed before entering a negotiation to maximize outcomes.
- Stages of Negotiation: Understand the different phases of a negotiation process, from initiation to closure, and what to expect in each.
- Effective Negotiation Techniques at Each Stage: Learn specific techniques that can be employed at different stages of the negotiation to improve the likelihood of a favorable outcome.
- Negotiation Exercise 1: Participate in a simulated negotiation scenario to apply the concepts and techniques learned so far.
- Negotiation Exercise 2: Engage in another practical exercise to reinforce your negotiation skills and receive feedback.
Part 3: Advanced Negotiation & Influence Techniques
- Negotiation Behaviours: Examine the different styles and behaviors that negotiators may exhibit and how to adapt your approach accordingly.
- Weapons of Automatic Influence: Learn about psychological triggers that can be used to influence people almost automatically, such as scarcity and commitment.
- Behavioural Insights Model: Understand how behavioral economics and psychology can inform more advanced strategies in negotiation and influence.
- Advanced Negotiation Strategies and Tactics: Explore more complex negotiation techniques, such as "anchoring" and "framing," to gain an edge in negotiations.
- Putting it all Together: Real-Life Negotiation Scenarios: Apply all the learned principles and techniques in real-world negotiation situations, analyzing case studies and participating in roleplaying exercises.